We’re starting off this blog with our recipe for vegan bolognese sauce, which we serve with Tagliatelle. In this recipe we subsitute the meat in the traditional dish with a mixture of vegan mince meat and button mushrooms. We get a meaty texture by sautéing them on high heat until they are very browned and all the moisture in the mushrooms has evaporated. This recipe makes four big portions.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 250g mushrooms, finely chopped
- 200g vegan mince (about 2 cups)
- 4 cups canned tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 500g Tagliatelle, or pasta of your choice
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions and sauté for five minutes, or until translucent and beginning to brown.
- Add chopped mushrooms to the dutch oven and sauté for ten minutes, stirring occasionally until moisture has evaporated and mushrooms are browned. Scrape up browned bits from the bottom of the pot as you go.
- Add the second tablespoon of olive oil to the pot as well as the vegan mince and garlic. Keep stirring 2 to 3 minutes until browned and the mixture begins sticking to bottom of the dutch oven.
- Next, add the tomatoes, bay leaf, oregano, salt, and pepper. Then stir, making sure to scrape up anything sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Finally, pour the wine into the pot and stir to combine. Then lower heat and let simmer covered for thirty minutes. While the sauce is cooking, bring a big pot of salted water to a boil and cook your pasta.
- Drain pasta when al-dente and serve with the finished sauce.
We hope you enjoy our vegan bolognese recipe! Please let us know if you try it and how you like it.