Mashed potatoes make a frequent appearance in our home. Not only are they delicious, but it’s also a quick and easy dinner to whip up. We have discovered that the key to super creamy mashed potatoes lies in omitting milk and doubling down on the vegan butter. We love to mix chives into our mashed potatoes for a burst of fresh, summery flavor and serve it on a bed of garlicky sautéed spinach.
For super smooth mashed potatoes, it’s also important to drain them from the pot at exactly the right time. You’ll know they’re fully cooked when you can pierce them with a fork without any resistance. If you don’t cook them for long enough, you risk ending up with lumpy potatoes. Wait too long, and the potatoes will become overcooked and waterlogged, resulting in watery mealy mashed potatoes.
This dish works well as both a main or a side.
Mashed Potatoes with Chives on Spinach
- 1kg mashing potatoes
- 5 tablespoons vegan butter
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 300g spinach, washed
- First peel and quarter the potatoes. You’ll want to make sure the potato chunks are of relatively equal size, so they cook evenly. Then place the potatoes in a pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer and let the potatoes cook for about 25 minutes. You’ll know they’re ready when you can pierce a potato with a fork with no resistance and you can see them start to break apart at the edges. Then immediately drain the potatoes.
- While the potatoes are simmering, begin preparing the spinach. Add the spinach along with the olive oil to a pan over low heat. Add one handful at a time, as the spinach wilts in the pan. Sprinkle with salt and continue to sauté for another 5 to 7 minutes until the spinach is wilted and most of the water has evaporated. Then drain off any excess water and add the minced garlic to the pan with another dash of olive oil. Continue to stir the spinach for another minute as the garlic cooks and then remove from heat.
- Add the drained potatoes back to the pot along with the vegan butter and 1 teaspoon salt. Now begin mashing the potatoes until no lumps remain. Once the mashed potatoes are completely smooth, mix in the chopped chives and season with black pepper. Stir to combine and taste to check if you need to adjust the seasonings. If the potatoes taste at all dry, go ahead and add some more vegan butter.
- Now you can go ahead and portion out the spinach onto plates and top with mashed potatoes.